Voter ID card versus election card
These two terms are normally used interchangeably. You can either call it a voter ID card, which is also known as "Voter Registration Card " or an "Election Card ". This card is issued to all Indian citizens who have reached the age of adult franchise which is 18 years of age. The voter ID card is issued to an Indian citizen by the Election Commission of India which acts as a proof of his/her citizenship and allows them to cast their votes in this country. Remember, you need a voter id card to ensure that you get your name registered in the electoral rolls of your particular polling booth. This photo identity card helps in improving the accuracy of the electoral roll and to help prevent cases of electoral fraud. It is also possible to map your voter id card with your Aadhar card to add a biometric angle to it and prevent any misuse in your absence.
What are the documents required to apply for a voter id card?
The following are some of the key documents that you need to apply for a voter id card. Ideally, when applying for voter ID card, you must card self-attested photocopies of the documents and you must also carry the originals for verifications if asked for. Normally, the concerned official will verify your attested copy with the originals before accepting your application. The following are some of the key documents required.
- Recent passport size photographs in colour and in property prescribed format
- Address proof (any one of the following) or proof of residence. It can include; copy of your passport (both front and back pages), Gas bill (not more than 3 months old), Water bill, Ration Card, Bank Passbook or statement attested by the bank official along with your photograph in it, Aadhaar Card etc.
- Copy of proof of age which can include; 10th Standard Certificate, Birth Certificate issued by the Municipal Corporation, PAN Card, Aadhaar Card, Driving Licence, Copy of Passport, Kisan Card etc.
- Proof of identity that can include; PAN Card, Driving Licence, Ration Card, Passport Copy, Bank Passbook with Photograph, SSLC Certificate, Student ID Card, Aadhaar Card etc.
The Voter ID card has the following uses and is a must for voting.
- It is an identity proof which can be used to avail services in this country
- It allows you to cast your vote in state and central elections
- Authorized proof that you are an Indian citizen
- It helps in reducing electoral fraud
- People with a valid Voter ID can avail special offers which are rolled out by the Government of India from time to time. For example, you cannot apply for a ration card in India if you do not have a voter 's ID
Become a Sub Broker with Motilal Oswal Today!
|Open Demat Account||Equity Market||Corporate Fixed Deposits||New IPO|
|Commodity Markets||Currency Markets||Mutual Funds Investment||Wealth Management|
|Gold as an Investment||Derivatives Market||Online Trading Account||Stock Analysis|
Open Demat Account Online with Motilal Oswal Today!